Scythia is a next-generation consumer products platform built by acquiring private-label e-commerce brands who are mainly selling stable, non-seasonal products.
The objective of the business is to acquire businesses/ products which sell on the Amazon marketplace and other e-commerce platforms and aggregate these businesses into a consumer products platform.
Our focus is on businesses with stable, non-seasonal revenues, without fad-like demand drivers. Our acceleration programmes can unlock growth through a combination of product management, performance marketing or supply chain expertise and other business functions.
Scythia supports the acquired businesses’ further evolution by hiring best-in-class talent to focus on areas where the founders were unable to, frequently due to constraints in working capital, time, knowledge or process development.
Our goal is to create a virtuous cycle of scale, enabling greater central marketing and brand management expertise, which drives organic growth of acquired product ranges, which in turn enables Scythia to build an ever-stronger brand and marketing management engine at the core. Through all of this, we will focus relentlessly on professional execution, from sourcing and managing supply chains, to customer after-care, and everything else in between.
When it comes to people, of course we expect a lot. We will always aim to be as flexible as possible and understand that life happens to all of us. Hand-in-hand with this is an understanding that we are fast-growing and must be sufficiently agile to deliver what is required even when this means that priorities may change at short notice and at times “all hands are required on deck”. We will actively work with you to help identify individual potential and to enable you to achieve it.
The founders of Scythia believe that truly great teams evolve from a culture of ownership, respect, trust and challenge; we look forward to welcoming you on our journey!
Purpose of Role
We find that a founding entrepreneur’s superpower is rarely in Finance, and integrating such businesses can require everything from basic book-keeping and accounting through to fundamental financial analysis. The role of Financial Controller is pivotal to the foundations of the business and will provide structure, order and insight into the financial workings of the integrated businesses. There will likely also be a need to work at parent group level on the aggregated business. Dealing with International platforms means we also need to able to navigate multiple countries’ tax and regulatory burdens and manage national and international P&Ls
This role demands a flexible superstar, who can grow and pivot as the needs of the business develop and expand.
- Coordinating and directing the preparation of the budget and financial forecasts, insightfully reporting variances, trends, risks and opportunities
- Managing accounting operations including relevant
- Billing, Accounts Receivable
- Accounts Payable
- General Ledger
- Cost Accounting
- Inventory Accounting
- Revenue Recognition
- Produce statutory accounts alongside external accountant
- Responsible for Xero inputs and outputs (Xero is highly common in this space; high Xero competence is prerequisite)
- Manage Cash Flow
- Ensuring that all financial transactions are properly recorded, filed and reported
- Ensuring all reporting is compliant with statutory law and financial regulations
- Documenting business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls
- Streamlining and improving accounting systems and operations
- Overseeing the management of cash flow and debt
- Contributing to company financial strategy and decision-making processes
- Growing the Finance team and leading the department as required
- Organise and manage audits
- Manage payroll and VAT
- 5+ years’ experience in Finance
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and change
- Must be experienced, competent and confident using Xero
- Rapidly adapt to new software solutions and processes
- Qualified (e.g. CIMA / ACCA)
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary commensurate with Management seniority level
- 25 days holiday
- Eligible for all company benefits as and when the Company adopts such schemes
How to Apply
This role is is now closed (Oct 2021)
If it sounds like you are good fit for this role, please feel free to send us your details using the form below and we’ll get back in touch. No agencies, candidates only please!